How can you make money writing on Wattpad? Wattpad is a platform where you could make money publishing e-books, short stories, or anything that is related to writing. This is a complete 2,500 words article that could help you make money writing on Wattpad. I have written a similar guide on Medium here. This article is old and short so I thought it would be better to write a guide for writers to write fiction or non-fiction articles on Wattpad and make money through it. This could be the best article you find about writing on Wattpad.
What is Wattpad?
Wattpad is a site for writers to share their stories (Fiction or non-fiction) and share their work with others. The site has over 150 Million page views per month which makes it the top 500 websites on this planet. Wattpad gives the opportunity to fiction or non-fiction writers to make money.
Wattpad is a simple social media website where you just have to make an account like any other social media site and start writing your work. The Internet is changing every single day and new and new social media sites are emerging. As you could make money writing on Medium which is also a social media site the same way Wattpad is.
When you click on “Create a new story” you are officially in business and can start creating content. One thing to remember here is that every social media site or site that pay you online has one thing in common and that is “Content” the cornerstone is the content. The more content, in the case of Wattpad, you have to write more stories, the more money you will make.
5 Ways to make money writing on Wattpad:
- Join the Wattpad Stars program.
- Make money indirectly by linking to buy Me a Coffee or your Patreon page.
- Affiliate marketing
- Paid stories program
- And Using the power of brand sponsorship.
The following are the four ways to make money writing on Wattpad. These are some of the direct and indirect ways through which you could make money writing short stories on Wattpad.
1. Wattpad Stars:
Wattpad star is a program from Wattpad where you could open new opportunities by becoming a Wattpad star. You have to fill-up this form in order to become a Wattpad star. Following are some of the opportunities that you could unlock using the Wattpad star program:
- You could find other star writers and be part of the growing community on Wattpad.
- Your work will be recognized on and off-platform.
- You will get access to different resources and tools available to Wattpad writers.
- You could get an opportunity to get into the Wattpad paid stories program, Brand sponsorship and you can get an opportunity to pitch your work to Wattpad partners that may help you get a published writer.
Getting into the Wattpad star program is a bit difficult if you are new to the platform. Here are some of the eligibility criteria:
- You must have at least one story that is over 50,000+ words and published.
- You have at least one story published in the last 365 days.
- You have added at least one part to an existing story in the last three months.
- You must have logged in to your Wattpad account in the last 60-days.
Joining the Wattpad star program could help you completely monetize your Wattpad fiction or non-fiction work. Also, remember that Wattpad will revive your account and analyze your activity.
I think getting into the Wattpad star program is the best thing that could happen to you if you want to take Wattpad seriously.
Here are some more guides to make money writing;
2. Buy me a coffee:
This is more of an indirect way to make money writing on Wattpad. You could include a link in your bio leading to Buy me a coffee website where your loyal readers could pay you $5 to support your work. There are a lot of writers who did this in past but right now a new platform named “Patreon” takes its part. In Patreon, you can get consecutive earnings and your loyal readers could support your work. In Patreon, you can make money through loyal readers supporting you to continue writing and sharing quality content.
This could only be possible if you are doing something that is free and you have a lot of readerships and you are consistent, and build your brand. This could help you get more paid readers. There are a lot of YouTubers who are doing this and they are getting $1000s of dollars consecutively.
3. Affiliate marketing:
You can start affiliate marketing but don’t make it a primary source of income. Affiliate marketing is when you insert a special link you got from any affiliate network company and you generate a sale. The link should be relevant to your Wattpad story. If you mention any product or book or anything related then you could include your affiliate link.
Remember to study the terms of service and the rules before adding affiliate links in your Wattpad story.
4. Paid Stories:
You can directly, in-app, support the writers through Wattpad stories program. At the same way, when you get into Wattpad Stars program, you have an opportunity to lock your Story and letting only those people to read your story who is paying you. Remember that not everyone could get into Wattpad stars program which gives you the opportunity to be in the paid stories, most of the Wattpad stories are free to read while some of them are only for those who choose to pay in form of coins.
As you can see a smaller “$” sign means that this story is in the Wattpad paid stories program and you have to pay a fixed number of coins to get access to this story. How you can get access? while you have to buy coins from Wattpad.
How to unlock a paid story?
Buy coins from Wattpad and every time you want to read a paid stories you have to purchase or bought that using your limited number of coins. The writer will get the coins too which the author could redeem and get paid depending upon the total number of paid readers.
5. Brand Partnership:
The brand partnership is one of the best things that could happen with you after joining the Wattpad stars program. When you joined the Wattpad stars program, Wattpad gives you the opportunity to connect with brands. Brand partnerships pay higher but very difficult to find. I have one brand sponsor me for one of my articles published on Medium.
Some writing tips to make more money on Wattpad:
Writing tips that could help you to make more money on Wattpad.
- Quality content: On Wattpad, you have to follow this golden rule. “Quality over quantity” Quality is more important on Wattpad. Wattpad measure the total number of reads vs the total number of people who read your story till the end. The who has a great ratio, win the race. You have to write quality stories with new ideas.
- The time factor: It takes time. You couldn’t make a good amount of money just writing one story. You have to put years of work before you get noticed widely. I started my blog in 2017, deleted all my posts in 2020 because i think all of them were just relevant bunch of shit and started writing again. So, it takes time to build things.
- Optimization for search engines: Okay, maybe this is a bit tricky because people search for things that help them solve problems or bring entertainment to their life. In the very same way, you can search for some keywords and place them as your title and body of the context. One striking example I find is when you search for the world “Teresa Fidalgo” You can find a Wattpad article having over 2K views.
- Erotica writers: Erotica writers get some eyeballs. Okay, Erotica writers make more money on Wattpad.
- Build your following: It takes time. You write more and more articles and people started noticing you. You get followers and this could help you reach a wider audience.
- Be part of the community: Wattpad is a social media site for fiction writers in large. Wattpad like Medium is a social media site for fiction writers.
- Promote it on social media: Promote, promote, and promote. This should be your Motto as a Wattpad writer. Most writers aren’t good marketers but you can learn this skill as time passes by.
Most of the writers don’t get the point of promoting your work on different platforms.
Can you make money on Wattpad?
Yes. You can make money writing on Wattpad and all you need to do is to write great stories, follow the guidelines of getting into the Wattpad star program and you will have more opportunities to earn money on Wattpad.
Pros and cons of writing on Wattpad:
Pros of writing on Wattpad:
- Built-in audience. You can reach thousands of people even if you are a complete beginner.
- Wattpad is free to use. You don’t need to pay anything to use Wattpad.
- You can make money writing about things you love.
- You can get feedback.
- If you publish a great piece it might reach millions of viewers and could you get your book getting published.
Cons of writing on Wattpad:
- You don’t own Wattpad. Your account could be suspended if you violate any there policies and all your work will go in the water.
- Not very optimized for the search engines.
- Making money on Wattpad isn’t easy. Most of the season writers on Wattpad are the ones who are in the Wattpad stars program.
- Not very valuable feedback like most of the readers will leave feedback like “This part is amazing” and blah…
- A lot of great work might go to the reader who you might not be getting the recognition that much.
- A lot of unfinished books on Wattpad.
The conclusion: Make Money on Wattpad:
Making money online is hard but needs consistency, hard-work, and to be continuous evolve. The Internet is a fragile place — You might be a hero one night and the next night you have nothing. Writing on Wattpad could help you find your true self, help you make money, and also enable you to be a better version of yourself.
Read more articles published on Techmintle.com:
- How to make money writing on Hackernoon?
- How to make money writing on Quora Space?
- Is $5/month Medium subscription worth it?
About The Author:
You can check out my Medium handle here: Aamir Kamal 🚀🚀🚀 and my YouTube channel Aamir Kamal, in both these platforms I upload content about Blogging, Medium, and other writing platforms, and everything connected to it. You can subscribe to my Newsletter where every Sunday I will submit some of the best content related to Blogging, Medium, Ghost, Quora, and Marketing or anything related to these topics.
A Message for writers and Bloggers: We have a great domain authority and website traffic. Add a sponsored post on our blog and you will get a do-follow link or a link to your Medium profile. We could suggest the topic that will get you evergreen traffic. Contact me here: Work with me