There is a lot of great stuff to read on Medium but Medium only gives you the opportunity to read three articles for free a month. Now, in this guide, we will discuss some ways through which you could read Medium.com articles for free. Writing and reading on Medium is a completely different process. If you want to write on Medium, then that’s free. You don’t need to pay anything to Medium and you can make money writing on Medium too.
There are two things that I will discuss with you before starting giving your ways to bypass Medium Paywall.
Writing on Medium is free. You don’t need to be a Medium member to write articles on Medium and make money. I have a YouTube video where I have discussed bypassing the Medium paywall and read articles for free and most of the commentators were confused about this. I have Interviewed Sinem Günel and she made over $11,000 a month writing on Medium.
Reading on Medium isn’t free. Medium gives everyone the opportunity to read three articles for free but to read unlimited articles on Medium you have to pay a $5/month or $50/year subscription. Some part of the revenue goes to those Medium writers who you read content of.
Is the Medium app free?
Yes, the Medium app is free to download. You can actually get any app online without paying. The medium app is free but reading articles on Medium isn’t. You have to pay to get monthly or yearly access to read Medium articles for free.
3 Ways to read Medium for free:
The following are the three ways through which you can read Medium.com articles for free without paying anything.
- Through opening Medium articles in Incognito.
- Through using the Bypass Chrome extension
- To be part of the Medium publication
Let discuss the whole process in detail.
1. Read Medium for free through using the incognito window:
I have also discussed this whole process in one of my articles on Medium where I have described the whole process in detail.
Let discuss the whole process through a step-by-step guide.
- Click on the article of your interest: Whenever you want to read an article on Medium. You have to click on it. Even if you are using the Medium app, you have to find the link to the article of your interest.
- Copy the link of the article of your Interest: This is very basic. You have to copy the link of the Medium article you are intended to read.
- Open the incognito window on Chrome: The advantage of the incognito window in chrome is that your cache is not recorded and your information isn’t displayed. Click on the three vertical dots in the top-right of your chrome and click on “Incognito Windows”
- Paste the link of the article we have copied in the incognito window: As we have copied the link of Medium story of our interest, paste it on the incognito window and click “Enter”
- You’re done. Boom. You can now read an article on Medium for free.
But, there is one thing you have to take care of. You have to take care that you don’t start clicking on more articles on Medium because for every new visitor, Medium gives you an opportunity to read three articles for free, and then you have to sign-up.
2. Through using the Bypass Chrome extension
There is a chrome extension available that could help bypass Medium.com articles by just turning on that extension. The process of installing a chrome extension onto your chrome is very easy. You can also use this chrome extension with other famous newspaper based paywalls like The New York Times, Business Insider, or The Financial times, learn more about it in “How to get around newspaper paywalls and read articles for free”
Here is the complete process of installing this extension and read Medium articles for free;
- Search for the term “Bypass Chrome extension” on Google.
- Click on the first search result that appeared. It must be from the GitHub.
- When you download the ZIP format of this extension. Open it and save the file to a specific folder.
- Open the chrome again and type and enter “chrome://extensions”
- Keep the developer mode on and click on “Save unpacked” copy the folder we have extracted from the ZIP format and you are done.
- Boom. You are ready to read Medium articles for free without opening a new window.
3. To be part of the Medium publication
This is an easy process as well but might help you read articles on some specific Medium publications. The point here is that when you are accepted as a writer on a platform.
I am a Medium member so I can read as many articles for a month as I want. But, if you want to read the content of a specific Medium publication then you have to do the process as I have described above.
Note: This method of the reading article will work only with Medium publication that they have added you as a writer.
- Go to your favorite Medium publication page.
- Search “Submission” and click enter.
- You will find their submission page. Now, almost 80% of the Medium publications add you as a writer so that you find it easy to submit content in the future.
- Email them, visit their blog or any other way through which they could find about you, and sent them your Medium username.
- Boom. They will add you as a writer. ILLUMINATION publication is one of the most popular and fast-growing publications. You just have to fill up a form and you are done.
+1: Reading Medium through Twitter:
Medium CEO on Twitter announced that now you could read Medium articles for free if you are visiting a Medium article from Twitter. This is great news and a very genius strategy. Twitter is a great platform for businesses of every type.
So, here is how to use Twitter to read Medium articles for free.
- Log-in or make an account on Twitter. Click on the Medium story of your Interest.
- Share the link of the story to Twitter.
- Click on the link.
- Boom, now you can read a complete Medium article for free.
- You could also find the article link by copy the complete title and search it on Twitter, if someone already shared it or the author him/herself or the publication the story published, you could easily read it.
This is how you could read articles on Medium for free. All these four ways are best to bypass the Medium paywall without paying a monthly subscription fee.
- How To Join Medium Partner Program from Countries where the stripe isn’t available?
- 7 Sites Similar to Medium.com Where You Could Write and Make Money
- Medium account suspended: What should you do now?
- Bypass And Read Wall Street Journal Articles For Free
- Get Around Newspaper Paywalls And Read News Articles For Free